Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Burlington Route

Scrutinizing well picked-over material in a stock book this evening, the stamp below caught my eye.  Burlington Route looked clear to me for the first time, though I think I looked at this cancel 100+ times. 

Burlington
Route
C., B. & Q. R. R.

The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy branded itself The Burlington Route.  Its printed cancels are well known on the one and two cent documentary battleships, with an example below. 


***

This site has taken a bit of break from reviewing and updating the printed cancels on the proprietary stamps, but that effort will return in the coming weeks.  I have an attention span problem at the moment -- I'm absorbed by the 1950s Fullerton list of documentary printed cancels, and I'll probably start to take a stab at reviewing that listing as well on this site. 

Some of my earliest posts on the website included a comprehensive review of Tolman's AMEX printed cancel collection.  Those stamps would be worth looking at again with a copy of the Fullerton list in hand.  If anybody has examples of some of the more obscure railroad printed cancels included or not included in the Fullerton list, I would appreciate an email from you at 1898revenues@gmail.com.  Thanks for any help you can provide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment