Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Position Dot (?) on the Half Cent Stamp in Yesterday's Post

Rereading yesterday's post I focused a bit on the stamp.  I've recently received a deluge of examples of so-called postion dots on the battleships, and I've become accustomed to looking for these near the top center of the stamp.  Yesterday's stamp presents an example of a dot in the center of the L in HALF at the top of the stamp. 




These so-called dots are everywhere once I start looking for them.  Is it the case on postage stamps that these dots were always so carelessly placed or not burnished off the plate?  What gives?  I understand that the Bureau was busy.  Is this the only explanation?

In the coming week I will post a few more examples of these kinds of dots.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment