Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Buyer Beware!


Current R163 offering on Ebay


Coincidence?  Two days ago I browsed the APS sales website for the first time, and found an R163 pair listed as an imperforate, or more accurately, imrouletted pair, and with a catalog value of $500.  Lo and behold, today, Stuart Katz has put up a block of R163 and lists it as an imrouletted block, this time with a catalog value of $1000, and buy it now price of $450.

In both cases these are not imperforate or imrouletted stamps.  These are part-perforate or part-rouletted stamps, and only on the horizontal.  The vertical rouletting can be clearly seen in the scan above, for example.  I don't have a copy of the Scott Catalog with me right now, but pairs of part-rouletted R163 should be listed for $8.  Yes, eight, and not hundreds of dollars. 


Partially rouletted R163s are common, and I have seen many pairs and blocks.  The referenced imrouletted copy is the only one I have ever seen.

Stuart Katz's errant listing on Ebay can be found here.  The APS responded quickly to an email I sent and wrote they would take the listing down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment