DETROIT & CLEV'D NAV. CO.
The "D&C" plied a route between Detroit and Cleveland at the turn of the century. Its primary business was passenger transport at a time when lake travel was still a competetive option with land travel. The company operated from 1868 to 1951.
The D&C operated huge and luxurious steam powered vessels. The Greater Detroit above was built in 1923 and was powered by side wheels.
The ship the City of Cleveland III, above, was struck by a Norwegian freighter in 1950 and severely damaged. The accident along with general declining business conditions for the line forced the D&C to close up operations in 1951. All of its ships have been scrapped.