Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Pearl City Bank

As previously mentioned, On Beyond Holcombe is off through the remainder of the year but will be back in 2013.  If you are visiting this site looking for Malcolm's column, thanks for stopping by.  Meanwhile, enjoy this cancel from the P. C. Bank.



The P. C. Bank
APR   10   1899
Pearl City, Ill.

Langlois scan


From A History of Stephenson County, Illinois, 1910:

The banking facilities of Pearl City are un­excelled for a village of the size. The Pearl City Bank, a private corporation, was organized about twenty years ago, by Simon Tollmeier, who became the first president, and has since continued to hold the office. The firm represents a capital of $25,000, and a personal responsibility of $250,000. The officers are: President, Simon Tollmeier; vice president, Dr. S. H, Aurand; cashier, A. L. Kurd; directors, Simon Tollmeier, Dr. S. H. Aurand, Frank R. Erwin, Fred Tollmeier, Frederick Althof, Henry Althof, August Althof, Charles Althof, Al­bert Althof, Otto Althof. The bank occupies a frame structure on Main street which is well fitted out for its banking offices.



Pearl City check from 1904


Pearl City is a town in north western Illinois that by the 1880s was a stop on the Chicago Great Western Railway.  Today the town has a population of 2,000.

Check out these previous posts on small town midwestern banks:

Lincoln County Bank, Merrill, Wisconsin

First National Bank, Charlotte, Michigan

The Bank of Baraboo, Baraboo, Wisconsin

The Bank of Willmar, Willmar, Minnesota


No comments:

Post a Comment