Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cancel for November 15: Weis Brothers



WEIS BROTHERS
NOV
15
1898


A dry goods business based in Galveston, Texas, Weis Brothers had an office and factory in New York City at 466-8 Broadway. 

From GALVESTON PAST AND PRESENT
Edited by Andrew Morrison for Geo. W. Engelhardt.
1890:

WEIS BROS., leading wholesale dealers
in and importers of staple and fancy dry
goods, boots, shoes, notions, hats, trunks,
etc., in the substantial brick structure at
62 to 70 Strand (old numbers), do a busi-
ness of metropolitan character and pro-
portions. They carry a stock of goods
valued at $500,000 to $600,000, have ten
traveling men selling for them, besides
twenty-five salesmen and clei'ks here, and
dispose of $800,000 to $1,000,000 worth
of goods a year, chiefly in Texas, but con-
siderable also in Louisiana and Arkansas.
They have offices and the various lines of
dry goods on the first floor, notions and
furnishing goods on the second, boots,
shoes and hats on the third and fourth,
and a surplus stock in a warehouse in the
rear.


The successful issue of their venture is
indicated by the number of other concerns
in which the house, or the partners indi-
vidually, are interested. Major Weis,
senior member of the firm, is president of
the Citizens' Loan Company of this city,
president of the Galveston Water Com-
mission, president also of the Galveston
Cotton and Woolen Mills, ex-president of
the Island City Savings Bank, and is a
director of the First National Bank, of the
Texas Land & Loan Co. and Galveston
Canning & Packing Co. Mr. R. Weis
also has interests of this sort that are
valuable. He is the credits and accounts
man of the firm; Major Weis, the mana-
ger of the buying and sales and other out-
side details.


Maj. Weis derives his title from service
upon Gen. Oppenheimer's staff, Texas
contingent Confederate service, he having
abandoned his business in Oakland, Col-
orado county, in this State, to enlist with
.the San Antonio banker and merchant.
In 1865, he returned to Oakland and re-
embarked in business as one of the firm of
Weis & Bock. In 1867, he sold out to
Bock and came here, and was a partner in
Strauss & Co., cotton and merchandising,
for a time, and until he and his brother
bought out Strauss and effected the part-
nership with Halff. His brother had
been with him in Oakland and came with
him here. In fact, their business interests
have been identical, so to speak, ever
since the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment